



Here's a fun craft to do with your kids/friends/cats/whoever. I love magnets! My friend Amanda made me a cute set of magnets out of photos for me. She cut out photos of our friends and stuff around her house and glued little magnets on the back of each. They've been decorating my fridges for over 5 years I believe.
I decided to do something similar when I came across an extra copy of one of Alistair's favorite books, Goodnight Moon (by Margaret Wise Brown). He loves pointing out the cows, moon, stars, bears and mice in the book and calling them by name. So I got out my kitchen shears and began cutting out those beloved images. I happen to have a fair stock of craft supplies. Dan and I plan crafts once a month for the Children's ministry at GCCC. I also taught day care for several years. So I already had magnets on hand, but I don't think they're expensive or hard to find. I put a little craft glue on the back and stuck it on back of the image. It dried within 10 minutes.
I think this idea works well because they're made of a very sturdy paper. They're light weight and not at all fragile. The images I chose are fairly large, so they're easy for little hands to grasp. The magnets are pretty thick, so they don't slide down the fridge like some cheap letter magnets we have. And if Alistair destroys one it doesn't matter. Now you don't have to throw out those cherished books because your child destroyed the binding (That's what happened to the ladybug book). If you want your kids to play with them somewhere else, give them a metal cookie sheet to stick them on.
No comments:
Post a Comment