Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Homemade Tomato Sauce


I plan to make this sauce in the next few days. I like to can it as soon I'm finished making it. Then I put a bow around and give it as a Christmas gift with a bag of organic spaghetti. This recipe makes 5 quarts I think. I usually, use some right away in lasagna (recipe to follow in my next post).


My Homemade Tomato Sauce

Ingredients
4 large cans of Progresso crushed tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
2 medium onions chopped/diced
1 garlic bulb peeled and chopped/pressed
lots of olive oil (at least 10 oz.)
1 bag of fresh basil
dried oregano
dried parsley
salt + pepper
crushed pepper flakes (if you like it a little spicy)
1/4 cup brown sugar (if you like it a little sweet)

1. Fill large stock pot with olive oil so there is at least an inch from the bottom. Set burner at medium-high heat.

2. Chop onion and add to hot oil--let it soften a little. Then add chopped garlic. 
* Watch the garlic; don't let it burn.

3. Reduce heat to medium. Add the can of tomato paste and stir well.

4. Carefully add in the 4 cans of crushed tomatoes. 

5. Coat the top of the sauce with the finely chopped basil, oregano and parsley.
* Stir in the spices without mixing the oil into the sauce.

6. Let the sauce simmer on medium-low heat for about 30 minutes. Then stir the oil into the sauce.

7. Turn off the heat and add in any extras (pepper flakes, brown sugar, parmesan/romano cheese). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

8. Serve over cooked spaghetti with meatballs (best if homemade) or use it in lasagna. Enjoy!

This is sauce is pretty thick and chunky. However, if you like a thinner sauce (and you shouldn't) then blend the crushed tomatoes before adding them in and chop the onion finely.


4 comments:

Jenn Pants said...

The photo is not mine. I jacked off google images. Actually, the same can be said for the hummus and cookies.

Jon said...

Mmmm....beer...Homer likes beer...

Jenn Pants said...

Jon, I'm confused by your comment.

Jon said...

It was totally random :).