I often feel left out. I barely see my friends. You may think of me as the Evite Queen, always throwing parties at home or Starbucks. That's usually because I don't get invited to parties, excluding hostess parties like Mary Kay and Lia Sophia. I figure if no one wants to plan something or invite me to their event, I might as well have my own. I don't want to be a boring old housewife/stay-at-home mom. Those are my most important roles but not my only ones. This is too emo for me. But there it is just the same.
Two Kings and Two Tables
11 years ago
3 comments:
I invited you to my birthday party! That has to count for something :)
I heart you.
So, I can totally relate at times. But my friend Kristina made a comment in our last Care Group meeting.
We were talking about evangelism. I had found an event online and invited a bunch of women to join me. One thing turned into another and with less than 24 hours notice, I found myself cooking 2 roasted chickens, rice, green beans, etc. for 6-8 people. Some who I didn't know.
Kristina was so excited about it because an unsaved friend of hers was excited about coming. Kristina isn't a planner in this way, and God was using my gifts to serve and bless her and her friends. Hopefully leading to more opportunities.
I'd like to say I was miss happy heart last Saturday. To be honest, I was struggling. I sorta felt a little imposed upon (though I was the one who did all the offering).
I was making the dinner about me and my desire for a quiet evening before the Wine-tasting event.
I was being selfish with my time and my resources. (Not that there isn't a time for holding back, but this was not it, and it certainly wasn't being motivated with the right attitude.)
Several people kept asking me all night what to expect at this Wine-tasting. I sinned against some good friends with my responses. Thankfully they forgave me.
The reality is though, sometimes we do so much for others motivated by our own desires. Whether that is for recognition, etc. We aren't motivated in light of the gospel -- saying "I want to extend hospitality as Christ did for me, requiring nothing in return."
And, of course, there comes a time when we are to be training others in hospitality. My mentor almost always has dirty dishes in her sink when I come over. My friend Amy often comes over early to help me when I host people. And she is quick to ask me when I get "flustered": "Michele, WHO are you doing this for? WHY are you doing it?"
Her gentle questioning reminds me of why I am hosting in the first place.
Of course, she was one of the ones I sinned against last week!
And it is nice to once in a while just show up somewhere. But, if you are anything like me, your schedule can be booked so far in advance that it leaves little room or time to accept an invite at a "just show up" event.
Post a Comment